There is no doubt that QuickBooks is a good product, but I believe it has gotten more respect than it deserves. In many online reviews, it will rank around #7 or #8, but it has gotten something of a default attribute as the best online accounting software on the market.
QuickBooks is a potent online accounting tool, but there are plenty of viable alternatives. I have listed the nine best alternatives to QuickBooks for 2021 and beyond below, as these platforms also offer excellent features.
How We Evaluated QuickBooks Alternatives
To successfully compare QuickBooks alternatives, I used several baseline metrics and measurements. While I have a few hard metrics, most of the feedback was qualitative based on our testers’ subjective feedback. Evaluations were based on:
- Price – How many features were available in a given price range?
- Functionality – What features are available, and do they work?
- Ease of Use – How easy is it to get set up and running with the platform? How intuitive are the dashboard and the daily operations?
- Customer Service – How quickly was a concern answered?
- Online Reviews – What are the customers saying in online review sites about the given platform?
After testing the platform’s free trials, I would query the customer service with some basic concerns. I tracked how long the response time was, whether the query got resolved, and how courteous the representative was.
With online reviews, I went to the typical review sites (Capterra, TrustPilot, GetApp, Sitejabber, Better Business Bureau). I calculated total scores across platforms in a spreadsheet (nothing too sophisticated, but provides us a rudimentary metric to work with for making a social review evaluation).
The ones that make it to the top of the list are outlined below. After testing 15 platforms overall, and nine stood out, which I list here.