|All content presented here and elsewhere is solely intended for informational purposes only. The reader is required to seek professional counsel before beginning any legal or financial endeavor.|
Whether it's for a haircut, coloring, or styling, hair salons are a place where clients go to get personalized service so they can look and feel their best. However, the success of any hair salon business depends largely on the quality of the equipment used. Properly selected and maintained hair salon equipment can enhance the efficiency, productivity, and profitability of a salon business.
In this guide, we’ll offer a hair salon equipment list of items needed to start a salon, the cost of this equipment, where to purchase or rent it, and tips for getting the most out of your investment.
What Equipment Do You Need to Start a Hair Salon?
If you're looking to start your own hair salon, it's important to have a comprehensive list of the equipment you'll need. Below are the different categories of equipment that are necessary to run a successful hair salon:
Equipment for Reception Area
The reception area is where clients wait before they're serviced. This area can be as simple or as fancy as you’d like to make it, but in general, to create a comfortable and professional space, you'll need the following equipment:
- Reception desk
- Chairs for clients
- Magazine racks
- Decorative accessories (plants, artwork, etc.)
- Computer and software for booking appointments
Hair Styling Station Equipment
The hair styling station is where the magic happens. It's where the stylist will cut, style, and color hair. The following equipment is necessary for a fully-operational styling station:
- Styling chair
- Hair salon tools (scissors, combs, brushes, etc.)
- Hair dryers
- Curling irons and straighteners
- Hair clippers
- Hair color tools (bowls, brushes, etc.)
Hair Stylist Tools
In addition to the equipment listed above, hair stylists also need certain tools to perform their jobs. These can include:
- Shears (different types and sizes)
- Sectioning clips, rollers and curlers
- Capes and aprons
- Neck strips
Shampoo Area Equipment
The shampoo area is where clients get their hair washed and conditioned. To create a comfortable and functional space, you'll need the following equipment:
- Shampoo chairs
- Shampoo bowls
- Shampoo and conditioner dispensers
- Shower heads and hoses
A hair salon generates a lot of laundry, including towels, capes, and aprons. To keep up with the demand, you'll need the following equipment:
- Washing machine
- Laundry detergent and fabric softener
It’s possible to do your laundry offsite at a laundromat, but that may be a pain and costly if you’re constantly washing large batches of aprons and other items.
Salon Management Equipment
Managing a hair salon isn’t just about the actual styling. To effectively manage a hair salon, you'll need certain equipment to help you with administrative tasks, too. These include:
- Computer and software for managing appointments and client information
- Cash register and point-of-sale system
- Credit card processing equipment
- Filing cabinets and storage
Other Hair Salon Supplies & Accessories
There are also a few miscellaneous items that are necessary for running a hair salon. These may include:
- Cleaning supplies (disinfectant, glass cleaner, etc.)
- Trash cans and recycling bins
- Light bulbs
- Music system and speakers
- Refreshments for clients (coffee, tea, water)
How Much Does Hair Salon Equipment Cost?
Starting a hair salon can be an expensive endeavor, with a significant portion of the costs going towards purchasing equipment.
How Much Does a Salon Chair Cost?
A salon chair is an essential piece of equipment that can cost anywhere from $100 to $500+ depending on the quality, style, and features.
How Much Does a Salon Styling Station Cost?
A styling station typically costs between $200 and $2,000 depending on the size, color, and material you’re looking for.
How Much Does a Hair Salon Trolley Cost?
A salon trolley, which is used to store and organize styling tools, typically costs between $80 and $500 depending on the size and brand of the trolley.
How Much Does a Shampoo Station Cost?
A shampoo station typically costs between $100 and $1,000. The price you’ll pay will vary by the material of the sink, the size, and the capabilities of the hose.
How Much Does a Hood Dryer Cost?
A hood dryer, which is used to dry hair after a treatment, typically costs between $100 and $500 depending on the quality and features.
How Much Do Professional Hair Shears/Scissors Cost?
Professional hair shears and scissors can cost anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on the quality, style, and brand.
How Much Do Professional Hair Clippers Cost?
Professional hair clippers can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on the quality, style, and brand you choose.
How Much Does a Professional Hair Curler Cost?
A professional hair curler can cost anywhere from $20 to $300+ depending on the quality, style, and brand.
How Much Does a Professional Hair Straightener Cost?
A professional hair straightener can cost anywhere from $30 to $300 depending on the style, features, and brand of the straightener.
What’s the Average Cost of Equipment Needed to Open a Hair Salon?
The cost of equipment needed to open a hair salon varies greatly depending on the size, location, and services of the salon. However, on average, you can expect to spend about $27,000 on equipment alone. This includes everything from chairs and hair salon stations to shampoo stations and laundry equipment.
Is It Better to Buy, Rent, or Finance Hair Salon Equipment?
As you prepare to open your hair salon, one of the decisions you'll need to make is how to acquire the equipment you'll need. There are several options available to you, including buying, renting, or financing. Each option has its pros and cons, and the choice ultimately depends on your financial situation and business goals.
- Buying hair salon equipment outright means that you own the equipment outright and have the flexibility to use it as you see fit. You won't have to worry about monthly payments or interest rates, and you'll be able to deduct the cost of the equipment from your taxes.
- Renting hair salon equipment can be a good option if you're just starting out and don't have a lot of cash on hand. Renting allows you to use high-quality equipment without the upfront cost, and you can return the equipment if it's not working out for you. However, rental costs can add up quickly, and you won't own the equipment at the end of the rental period.
- Salon equipment financing allows you to spread the cost of the equipment over a set period of time, making it more affordable. You'll typically need to make monthly payments with interest, but the equipment will be yours once the financing period is over. However, financing can be more expensive in the long run due to interest charges.
Where Can I Purchase Hair Salon Equipment for My Business?
When it comes to purchasing hair salon equipment for your business, there are several options available. Here are a few places to consider:
- Salon equipment suppliers: One of the most common places to purchase hair salon equipment is through a salon equipment supplier. These suppliers specialize in providing everything from styling chairs to shampoo bowls and often offer a wide variety of options to choose from. Many suppliers also offer financing options.
- Online marketplaces: Online marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist can also be great places to find hair salon equipment. These marketplaces often have a wide variety of equipment available at competitive prices. However, it's important to be cautious when purchasing from these marketplaces, as the quality of the equipment may be lower, and it may not come with a warranty or return policy.
- Local distributors: Local distributors are another option to consider when purchasing hair salon equipment. These distributors often have showrooms where you can view the equipment in person and get a better idea of what you're purchasing. Additionally, purchasing from a local distributor can help support local businesses in your community.
- Secondhand stores: Finally, secondhand stores and online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace can also be great options for purchasing used hair salon equipment at a lower cost. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the equipment before purchasing it to ensure it's in good condition and still functions properly.
Who Offers Hair Salon Equipment for Rent?
If you're considering renting hair salon equipment for your business, there are several options available. Here are a few places to consider:
- Salon equipment suppliers: Many salon equipment suppliers offer rental options for their equipment as well as purchase options. This can be a good option if you're looking for high-quality equipment and want the flexibility to return it if it's not working out for you.
- Local equipment rental companies: These companies specialize in renting all types of equipment, from construction tools to party supplies. While they may not have the same level of expertise when it comes to salon equipment, they can still provide high-quality equipment at a reasonable price.
- Online rental marketplaces: Online rental marketplaces can also be good options for renting hair salon equipment. These marketplaces allow individuals and businesses to rent out their equipment to others. This can be a good option if you're looking for a specific piece of equipment that's not available through a salon equipment supplier.
How Do You Get Financing for Hair Salon Equipment?
If you're starting a new hair salon or looking to upgrade your current equipment, financing can be a great option to spread out the cost over time. Here are a few ways to get financing for hair salon equipment:
- Salon equipment suppliers: Many salon equipment suppliers offer financing options to help you purchase the equipment you need.
- Banks and credit unions: Many financial institutions offer small business loans or lines of credit that can be used for equipment purchases. Be sure to shop around and compare rates and terms to find the best option for your business.
- Equipment leasing companies: Equipment leasing companies specialize in providing financing for equipment purchases. They may offer lease-to-own options or equipment financing loans that allow you to spread out the cost of the equipment over time. Be sure to read the terms of the lease or loan carefully and understand the interest rates and fees associated with the financing.
- Online lenders: Online lenders like Lendio and OnDeck can also be good options for beauty salon loans.
These lenders typically offer quick approval and funding times, but may have higher interest rates and fees than traditional lenders.
10 Tips to Help You Choose the Best Hair Salon Equipment
When setting up a hair salon, choosing the right equipment is crucial to your business's success. Here are 10 tips to help you choose the best hair salon equipment:
- Create a budget for the necessary hair salon equipment: Before you start shopping for hair salon equipment, create a budget to ensure you can afford the necessary items. Consider what equipment is essential and what can be added later.
- Plan your hair salon space before shopping for equipment: Know the dimensions of your salon space and what equipment will fit comfortably. This will help you avoid buying equipment that doesn't fit or overcrowds your salon.
- Explore various brands of hair salon equipment: Research various brands to find the best quality equipment for your budget. Look for reviews and testimonials from other salon owners to help you make an informed decision.
- Test hair salon equipment before you purchase: Whenever possible, test the equipment before buying it to ensure it’s comfortable, functional, and user-friendly.
- Check reviews of any hair salon equipment you're considering: Check online reviews and ratings of the equipment you're considering to see what other salon owners have experienced with the equipment.
- Opt for long-lasting, premium-quality hair salon equipment: Investing in high-quality, durable equipment may cost more upfront but will save you money in the long run by avoiding frequent repairs or replacements.
- Take time to compare prices of hair salon equipment: Don't rush into buying equipment from the first supplier you find. Take the time to compare prices and negotiate discounts.
- Find suppliers that offer a wide range of hair salon equipment: Look for suppliers that offer a variety of equipment to save you time and money by consolidating your purchases.
- Review warranty, guarantee, and return policies for hair salon equipment: Before making a purchase, review the warranty, guarantee, and return policies to ensure you can return or replace the equipment if necessary.
- Consider delivery time, shipping costs, and assembly requirements when selecting salon equipment: Take into account delivery times, shipping costs, and assembly requirements when selecting salon equipment to ensure it arrives when you need it and you have the resources to assemble it properly.
By following these tips, you can make informed decisions when choosing hair salon equipment and set your business up for success.
The Latest Hair Salon Equipment Trends
As with any industry, the hair salon equipment market is continuously evolving and introducing new trends to the market. Here are just a few of the latest trends in hair salon equipment:
- Eco-friendly equipment: With sustainability becoming increasingly important, many salon equipment manufacturers are producing eco-friendly equipment that uses renewable energy sources, recycled materials, and reduced chemical usage.
- Wireless technology: Wireless technology is making its way into the salon industry, with cordless styling tools such as hair clippers, curling irons, and straighteners becoming increasingly popular.
- Multi-functional equipment: Salons are increasingly seeking multi-functional equipment that can perform several tasks, such as a styling chair that also has a built-in dryer. This saves space and eliminates the need for multiple tools.
- Virtual reality: Virtual reality technology is making its way into the salon industry, allowing clients to try on different hairstyles and colors before committing to a particular look.
Getting the Most Out of Your Hair Salon Equipment: The Proper Maintenance
Proper maintenance of your hair salon equipment is crucial to its longevity and performance. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your equipment:
- Read the manufacturer's instructions: The manufacturer's instructions will provide valuable information on how to care for your equipment. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your equipment or voiding the warranty.
- Clean your equipment regularly: Dust, hair, and debris can accumulate on your equipment, which can damage the equipment or affect its performance. Clean your equipment regularly with the appropriate cleaning products to keep it in good condition.
- Inspect your equipment frequently: Regularly inspect your equipment for damage or wear and tear. If you notice any issues, address them immediately to prevent further damage or injury.
- Schedule regular maintenance and repairs: Schedule regular maintenance and repairs for your equipment to keep it in top working order. Regular maintenance can also help prevent breakdowns and prolong the life of your equipment.
- Train your staff properly: Proper training for your staff on how to use and care for your equipment can prevent damage and prolong the life of the equipment. Make sure your staff knows how to use the equipment properly and what to do if there are any issues.
- Store your equipment properly: Proper storage of your equipment can prevent damage. Store your equipment in a clean, dry, and safe place when not in use.
- Replace equipment when necessary: No equipment lasts forever. When your equipment starts to show signs of wear and tear or no longer performs well, consider replacing it to avoid further damage or injuries.
Opening and running a successful hair salon requires careful planning and consideration of various factors, including selecting the right hair salon equipment. From reception area furnishings to styling stations and shampoo equipment, investing in the right tools is essential to provide a comfortable and efficient experience for both stylists and clients.
When choosing hair salon equipment, it's important to create a budget, plan your salon space, explore various brands, test equipment before purchasing, check reviews, opt for premium quality, compare prices, and find a supplier with a wide range of options.
Once you've selected your hair salon equipment, proper maintenance is key to ensure longevity and optimal performance. Regular cleaning and upkeep of your equipment will help avoid costly repairs and replacements down the line.