|All content presented here and elsewhere is solely intended for informational purposes only. The reader is required to seek professional counsel before beginning any legal or financial endeavor.|
A restaurant mission statement captures the essence of your brand while helping to communicate your restaurant’s purpose to the world. It conveys who you are, what you stand for, and how you wish for your customers to view your business — all in one concise, written statement. Crafting a mission statement is a great way to define your brand identity and attract both patrons and potential staff members.
- Restaurant mission statements are an easy way to communicate your goals to the world.
- Effective mission statements can help you and your team members make important business decisions since they can serve as useful benchmarks for success.
- Whether you’re starting from scratch or revising an existing version of your statement, it’s crucial to invest time, energy, and thought into crafting your restaurant mission statement.
What Is a Restaurant Mission Statement?
A restaurant mission statement is simply a few thoughtful sentences that express the overall purpose of your restaurant to readers. It communicates to anyone and everyone who comes into contact with your brand what sets you apart from your competitors. Sometimes, mission statements can even clue people into the kind of dining experience they can expect when they visit your restaurant.
Why Your Restaurant Needs a Mission Statement
A mission statement makes it easy for everyone from investors, to customers, to job seekers to get a glimpse into what your brand stands for. Plus, having a defined mission can help you make important decisions regarding things like decor, vision, restaurant menu, partnerships, and even your style of service. Keeping your mission statement in the back of your head can help you make more cohesive and appropriate choices.
Restaurant Mission, Vision, & Values: How They Differ
A value, vision, and mission statement for restaurant groups and individual locations may seem similar, but there are actually key differences you should keep in mind. Take a look at what makes these three important business assets different:
Restaurant Mission Statement
Mission statements are usually short, powerful pieces of writing that explain what drives your brand. Successful mission statements let people know the actionable ways in which your restaurant plans to achieve its goals.
Restaurant Vision Statement
As the name implies, a vision statement communicates the direction in which you hope to see your brand evolve and grow. It can also explain what motivated you to create your brand in the first place.
Restaurant Statement of Core Values
Your brand’s mission and vision become a lot more meaningful when you have concrete values defined to inform them. Good value statement examples let people know what’s important to you, so they help you attract customers who care about the same things.
How to Write a Powerful Restaurant Mission Statement
Writing a powerful mission can be challenging, especially when you’re dealing with other issues like staffing shortages, inflation, and finding restaurant business loans. It often takes a good deal of discipline and self-reflection to convey your goals via the written word accurately. If you’re wondering how to write a mission statement, take a look at the steps below:
- Brainstorm: You can’t write down your mission unless you know what it is, so the first step is always to think about your goals and values. If you’re feeling stuck, try asking yourself the following questions:
- Who is my ideal customer?
- Why did I want to start my restaurant business?
- What makes my restaurant different from others?
- What are my values?
- What do I look for in potential staff members?
- Research: Once you have an idea of the general direction you’d like to go in, it can be helpful to look into examples of mission statements for companies you admire for inspiration.
- Draft: This step is often the most difficult, so go easy on yourself and let the words flow freely. Feel free to write as many drafts as you need to until you find something that resonates with you.
- Revise: Once you’ve settled on a draft, it’s important to revise your statement for both grammar and content. You may need to go through several revisions during this phase of the process.
Tips to Help You Craft the Perfect Restaurant Mission Statement
If you find yourself hitting a wall as you work through the writing process, don’t worry. Whether you’re taking on a rebrand for a large franchise or trying to bolster your food truck advertising, most projects come with their own sets of challenges. The following tips and tricks can help make the process easier:
- If you experience writer's block, taking a break can actually work in your favor.
- If your statement feels stale, use a thesaurus to incorporate more interesting vocabulary into your statement.
- Seek objective opinions from people you trust.
- Sometimes, thinking about how to start a mission statement can be the most difficult part, so just take the plunge and start writing.
- Always keep your customers in mind. At the end of the day, your restaurant target audience is who you need to resonate with.
Examples of the Best Restaurant Mission Statements
The best way to learn is often by example, and it can be helpful to use a sample mission statement when writing your own. To make understanding how to craft a powerful mission statement easier, take a look at some of these well-written, effective examples that demonstrate how a good mission statement is an extension of restaurant marketing in establishments that range from fine dining to fast food.
- Union Square Hospitality: “At Union Square Hospitality Group, our mission is to enrich lives through the power of Enlightened Hospitality. This unique approach puts our employees first because we believe that attracting, hiring, and nurturing the right people is what sets our businesses apart.”
- Darden Restaurants: “To be financially successful through great people consistently delivering outstanding food, drinks and service in an inviting atmosphere, making every guest loyal.”
- Sweetgreen: “We believe the choices we make about what we eat, where it comes from and how it’s prepared have a direct and powerful impact on the health of individuals, communities and the environment.”
- Starbucks: “Our Mission: to inspire and nurture the human spirit - one person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time.”