|All content presented here and elsewhere is solely intended for informational purposes only. The reader is required to seek professional counsel before beginning any legal or financial endeavor.|
As a professional stylist, having the right tools and equipment at your disposal is essential to delivering the best service to your clients. From styling chairs and hair dryers to color processing equipment and styling products, your beauty salon equipment plays a crucial role in ensuring your business is successful and that your clients leave your salon feeling their best.
There are many options available on the market, so it’s understandable that some salon owners can feel overwhelmed. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the must-have beauty salon equipment that every professional stylist should consider purchasing.
- Professional salon equipment is essential to the success of any salon. Equipment can include furniture, hair and nail salon equipment, spa equipment, professional tools, front desk and office equipment, cleaning supplies, and even salon lighting.
- The cost of beauty salon equipment varies depending on the type and quality of the equipment. Salon equipment financing options such as loans and leases are available..
- Beauty salon equipment requires regular maintenance and cleaning to ensure that it lasts and to prevent the spread of germs.
What Equipment Do You Need to Start a Beauty Salon?
There’s a lot of equipment involved in running a successful beauty salon. For those looking for how to open a salon, one of your first steps is going to be looking at the price of equipment to ensure you can afford the expense.
Here’s a look at the various different types of equipment salon owners will want to consider, and how much they cost, on average.
Beauty Salon Furniture
- Styling chairs range from $100-$500 + per chair
- Styling stations range from $200 and $2,000 per station
- Shampoo chairs and sinks range from $100 and $1,000 per unit
- Reception area seating ranges from approximately $50-$500 per chair
- Retail display shelving can range from $200-$1,000 per shelf
Hair Salon Equipment
- Hair dryers range from $100 and $500 per unit
- Flat irons cost approximately $50-$200 per unit
- Curling irons range from $20 to $300+ per unit
- Haircutting shears will cost about $50 to $500
- Hair color processing equipment will be approximately $300-$500 per unit
Nail Salon Equipment
- Manicure tables range in price from approximately $100-$500 per table
- Pedicure chairs and foot baths cost $1,000+, depending on what you’re looking for
- Nail polish display racks cost about $25-$200 per unit
- UV nail lamps cost approximately $40-$150 per unit
Spa Equipment for a Beauty Salon
- Massage tables range from $100-$800 per table
- Hot stone warmers range from $50-$200
- Towel warmers range from approximately $50-$200
- Facial steamers cost approximately $200-$3,000
Professional Beauty Salon Tools
- Hair brushes and combs cost only about $5-$50
- Hair rollers range from $4-$50 per set
- Hair styling products range greatly between $10-$50 per product
- Hair coloring products also range greatly between $10-$50 per product
- Nail polish and nail art supplies range between approximately $5-$50
Beauty Salon Front Desk Equipment
- Computers or tablets can range from $200-$1,500
- Cash registers can range from $200-$1,000+
- Credit card readers range from approximately $50-$200
- Appointment scheduling software can be free or range from $20-$50, on average
Beauty Salon Office Equipment
- Printers and scanners range from about $100-$500
- Office furniture ranges from approximately $100-$500+ per desk/chair/filing cabinet
- Cleaning solutions and disinfectants range from approximately $10-$50 per product
- Cleaning tools cost about $10-$50 per tool
Where Can I Find Beauty Salon Equipment for My Business?
Where do you actually look to find the equipment you need? There are several options to consider, but here are some of the most common sources for purchasing or leasing beauty salon equipment:
- Beauty supply stores: Many beauty supply stores like SalonCentric and Sally Beauty offer a variety of salon equipment and supplies, ranging from hair and nail equipment to furniture and accessories.
- Online retailers: There are a variety of online retailers that specialize in beauty salon equipment. CosmoProf is one of the most popular options. These websites offer a wide selection of equipment and supplies, often with competitive pricing.
- Equipment manufacturers: Some popular manufacturers include Belvedere, Pibbs Industries, and Takara Belmont offer a wide range of professional salon equipment
- Local classifieds: You may be able to find used or discounted beauty salon equipment through local online classifieds, such as Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Just be sure you’re able to see the equipment in person before you buy so you can make sure it’s in good condition.
- Equipment leasing companies: If you prefer to lease rather than buy equipment, there are companies that specialize in leasing salon equipment. Leasing is a good option for businesses looking to conserve cash flow or those that regularly upgrade their equipment.
How Do You Get Financing for Beauty Salon Equipment?
Depending on the equipment you’re purchasing, you’re looking at spending a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. If that’s the case, you may be considering financing. Here are a few popular financing options:
- Banks and financial institutions offer business loans specifically for small businesses like salons. These beauty salon loans can be used to cover the cost of equipment, supplies, and other expenses. You can select from a variety of terms and rates, depending on your credit score.
- Some lenders offer equipment financing, which allows you to borrow money specifically to purchase bigger equipment for your salon. If you’re looking to upgrade a whole suite of costly equipment, this could be the right option for you.
- Crowdfunding allows you to raise funds from a large group of people to finance your salon equipment purchases. For those with a strong social media presence, you can leverage your network to help raise funds.
- Borrowers with good credit can obtain a personal loan to finance their salon equipment. Personal loans often come with high interest rates and origination fees, though, so read the fine print before committing.
Is It Better to Buy, Lease, or Rent-to-Own Beauty Salon Equipment?
When you’re looking to add more equipment to your salon or update old equipment, you have three options, including:
- Buying: Purchasing beauty salon equipment outright can provide long-term cost savings and gives you the freedom to customize the equipment to your specific needs. That said, buying requires a significant amount upfront.
- Leasing: Leasing beauty salon equipment is for businesses that aren’t fully committed to the equipment they’re buying, such as those who update their equipment regularly. Leasing also tends to come with a lower upfront cost, but you’ll continue to pay leasing fees until you don’t need the equipment anymore.
- Rent-to-own: Many equipment suppliers offer the ability to rent your equipment and you can decide to pursue ownership later. However, this option can come with higher overall costs due to interest charges and rental fees.
How to Apply for Beauty Salon Equipment Financing
When you do find yourself ready to finance the equipment you’ve decided on, the process will be relatively simple. Generally, it’ll goes as follows:
- Research financing options: There are several financing options available, including traditional banks, online lenders, equipment financing companies, and credit unions, to name a few. Research each of these options and compare interest rates, repayment terms, and fees.
- Gather all required documents: To apply for a loan, you'll typically need to provide financial statements, tax returns, a business plan, and other documents that show your business's financial health.
- Fill out the application: The application process will vary depending on the lender, but you'll need to provide basic information about your business and financial situation.
- Wait for approval: This process can take several days to several weeks depending on the lender and the complexity of your application.
- Accept the loan offer: Once your application is approved, you'll receive an official loan offer outlining the terms and conditions of the financing agreement. Read it over carefully and make sure you understand the interest rates, repayment terms, and fees associated with the loan before signing.
10 Tips for Selecting the Best Equipment for Your Beauty Salon
While the sheer number of options available for salon equipment is a great thing, in a lot of ways, it can be overwhelming. Here are a few tips to help you find the right equipment for your business.
1. Set a Budget for Beauty Salon Equipment
With so many different options available, it’s easy to want the newest, flashiest equipment. If your budget can afford that, more power to you, but make sure you’re setting some sort of budget for your equipment. Look at both used and new equipment and spend some time browsing before making any final decisions.
2. Research Various Beauty Salon Equipment Brands Before Purchasing
Spend some time researching and you’ll quickly see that the same equipment, in the same condition, can vary in price across various different sites. Look into at least three or four sites and compare customer reviews, prices, shipping costs, and warranties.
3. Acquire New Beauty Salon Equipment Whenever Possible
Having the newest equipment on hand is going to help you do a few things:
- Stay ahead of the competition.
- Provide better results for your clients.
Whenever possible, buying new equipment can be a good investment. Of course, ensure your business’s budget can handle these purchases before considering financing or drawing from savings.
4. Choose Durable, High-Quality Beauty Salon Equipment
The saying “you get what you pay for” rings especially true for beauty salon equipment. If you’re buying low-cost equipment, there’s a chance it may be of lower quality. Make sure you’re thoroughly researching any equipment before purchasing.
5. Buy Beauty Salon Equipment That Matches Your Brand
Always have your brand at the top of your mind, even when shopping for equipment. Consider the services you want to offer, the brands you’re using (i.e., are they reputable?), and the actual look of the equipment itself.
6. Purchase Beauty Salon Equipment Directly from Suppliers
You know that most suppliers have a good reputation. While some suppliers may be a little more expensive, you know you’re getting quality equipment. Plus, suppliers often offer longer and more expansive warranties on the equipment.
7. Check Warranties, Guarantees, and Return Policies
Speaking of warranties, no matter where you purchase your equipment, look into their various policies. Do they offer a warranty? Any guarantees? What’s their return policy? Knowing these in advance can help you compare equipment across suppliers.
8. Factor In Shipping Costs When Choosing Equipment
Salon equipment can be heavy, meaning you’re potentially going to pay a lot in shipping. Before deciding on a final product, make sure you take a look at the shipping cost. Some suppliers may offer free shipping on certain products, while others simply won’t.
9. Consider Delivery Time When Selecting Salon Equipment
Depending on the supplier you use and the product you’re ordering, shipping times can be as short as a few days or as long as a few months. Certain equipment may be back ordered, complex to ship, or in high demand, potentially delaying shipping times.
10. Be Aware of Equipment Assembly Requirements
When looking into products, see if you can find assembly guidelines. Will the product come fully assembled? Will the delivery folks be the ones assembling it? Or will you be responsible for that? Knowing this ahead of time can help you prepare for the time it’ll take to assemble your equipment.
The Latest Beauty Salon Equipment Trends
The beauty world is ever-changing, so you’ll need to do your part to keep up with the latest trends. This will help you keep up with your competition and provide top-tier services to your clients. Here are some of the latest beauty salon equipment trends:
- Advanced skin care technology: Skincare treatments are growing in popularity, largely thanks to social media. Some of the latest advancements include LED light therapy, microdermabrasion machines, and radiofrequency skin tightening devices. Sounds a little like a sci-fi movie, right?
- Eco-friendly products and equipment: The world, and in turn, consumers, are becoming more environmentally conscious. sp eco-friendly salon equipment is on the rise. From energy-efficient LED lighting to eco-friendly salon chairs made from more sustainable materials, there are plenty of options available for salons looking to reduce their environmental impact.
- Virtual consultations: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, many salons have turned to virtual consultations to continue offering services to clients. This trend is likely to continue, with salons investing in equipment such as high-quality cameras and lighting to ensure the best possible virtual experience for clients.
- Smart technology and equipment: Smart technology is becoming increasingly popular in the beauty industry, with tools such as smart mirrors and apps that allow clients to try on different hairstyles and makeup looks before ever committing to a treatment.
Beauty Salon Equipment: Maintenance Tips and Tricks
Maintaining your beauty salon equipment is important for saving money in the long run. Here are a few tips and tricks for maintaining your beauty salon equipment:
- Clean and disinfect regularly: To prevent the spread of germs, clean and disinfect all of your equipment regularly. You can often find cleaning instructions on the manufacturer’s website.
- Schedule regular maintenance: Regular maintenance helps prevent equipment breakdowns and extends the life of your equipment.
- Store equipment properly: Proper storage can help prevent damage to your equipment. Make sure all of your equipment is stored in a clean, dry, and secure location when not in use.
- Use equipment properly: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for each piece of equipment so you avoid overusing or misusing the equipment.
- Train staff on how to use the equipment: You’ll need to train your staff how to use each piece of equipment safely and effectively, and don’t forget to provide ongoing training as needed.
Upgrading Your Beauty Salon Equipment: Signs It's Time for an Update
Deciding to upgrade your equipment can be an expensive decision, so you want to make sure you’re timing it right. Here are a few instances where upgrading your equipment may make sense:
- Your equipment frequently breaks or needs repairs: The last thing you want is for your equipment to break down in the middle of your session with a client. If this starts happening, it’s a surefire sign that you need to replace your equipment.
- The service your equipment helps you perform is no longer requested: If you’ve had the same old equipment sitting in the back of your salon from days gone by, you may want to consider investing in equipment that helps you offer newer services.
- Other salons around you are updating their equipment: Unfortunately for you, when other similar businesses around you start upgrading their equipment, you may want to consider doing the same. If not, you may not be able to keep up with the level of service your competition offers.
- You want to provide new services: The beauty salon industry changes constantly with styles coming and out of fashion. As that happens, you get the luxury of exploring new trends and offering them in your salon.
Resources for Beauty Salon Owners
There are plenty of resources available to first-time beauty salon owners that can help make running your business go a little more smoothly. Here are a few to check out:
- Professional Beauty Association: The PBA offers education, advocacy, and networking opportunities for professionals in the beauty industry.
- Small Business Administration: The SBA provides funding and resources for small business owners, including information on business planning.
- SCORE: SCORE is a nonprofit organization that provides educational resources and mentoring to small business owners.
- The Salon and Spa Relief Fund: This nonprofit organization provides financial assistance to beauty industry professionals that have been affected by natural disasters and other unforeseen circumstances.
Beauty salon equipment encompasses everything from styling chairs to hair dryers, salon trolleys, and waxing stations. This equipment is often costly and may even require financing. That said, there are plenty of ways stylists and salon owners can find affordable, reputable equipment. Most importantly, make sure you’re researching the distributor of any equipment you’re buying. Make sure they’re reputable and have a generous return policy.